Charity Ride Report

Tickhill – Scarborough – Tickhill

21st and 22nd  May


At 7am  on Saturday morning fourteen riders gathered at the Scarborough Arms, Tickhill, with a group of wellwishers there to cheer us on our way. After a short delay to deal with a small mechanical issue to one of the bikes, the event got underway at 7.20.

With a mild southerly wind blowing, we were soon through Misterton, and speeding along the side of the Trent, arriving at our breakfast stop in Crowle just after 9am. Refreshed and refueled, we set off in good spirits and at a fine pace, through Goole (where two riders left us, not being able to spare the weekend), Howden and North Cave, before turning north towards Market Weighton, where our lunch was waiting. We arrived on schedule at midday, in bright sunshine.

The flat roads were behind us now, and we twelve set off across the Wolds, to enjoy their rolling terrain. Inevitably, the bad weather which had been forecast, produced darkening clouds and after Wetwang, (a very apt name) we were given a thorough drenching. Once wet, we just kept on pedaling, taking care on the fast runs downhill, and all survived the ordeal in good mood – we were nearly there! In the last few miles to Scarborough, the sun came out again, and we were able to enjoy the arrival picnic waiting for us, after our 106 mile journey.


A convivial evening was spent by the group in a local restaurant, and after a relaxed start to the Sunday morning, 10 of us gathered at 10am for our return. Two people had set off early, needing to be home by lunchtime)

As a matter of noteworthy detail, one rider left by train on Saturday evening, but his place was taken by another who had set off from Tickhill just after 3am, to join us in Scarborough at 10, and then cycle back in the day – an amazing effort!

Our return journey was in fabulous weather, and took us through quiet country lanes most of the way to Beverley, where we stopped for lunch, sat outside in the square in sight of the Cathedral. It was an effort to pull ourselves away from such an enjoyable environment, but the Humber Bridge awaited us, and the final miles through the Isle of Axholme, before arriving back in Tickhill at 7pm.

I am pleased to say that there were no significant problems encountered, with all riders returning safe and well, having had a wonderful journey through some beautiful countryside.

There were minor incidents of course, one person having a go at riding a ploughed field, another needing a new back wheel in Scarborough after wearing out the rim of the one he started on, and me taking a wrong turn whilst focused on a pleasant conversation and not looking at the Garmin (a cyclists Satnav).

However, none of these detracted from the experience, in fact they add to the fun of it.

On our return to the Scarborough Arms we were met by family, friends, sponsors and supporters, plus three of the staff from the Chatsfield Suite. I was able to make a presentation of our £5000 charity target, for it is certainly looking like being achieved. Indeed, with more donations arriving after the event, and with promised monies to be yet collected, we should exceed the target.